Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The house saga continues

I am sure you all desperately curious to know:  Does the piering process ever end?  Do Dan and Miranda and Camden ever get to move back home?  What's happening?!!  I'll attempt to satisfy your rampant interest. 

Well, it took a week and a half to pier our house.  Camden and I mostly stayed with a friend, since I was a little nervous having Camden around holes he could fall into.  Plus, the interior piering process is not a particularly clean one.  
As the drill goes down, dirt comes up and pools around the hole.  Where this is enough dirt, it gets moved to the bucket, and the bucket gets dumped in their truck.  It's pretty noisy too.  Apparently, a couple of our piers went extra deep.

Most of the piers are in our bedroom.  Here it is, all ready to be lifted.  Each jack top was hand levered, a few at a time, til the floor was lifted up properly.

So we moved back home last Wednesday, after the foundation was lifted, but before all the holes were cemented back in.  I spent most of Thursday cleaning dirt from all the surfaces of our house.  I really dislike that gritty feel, even when touching the couch or cupboard doors.  I know, I've gotten prissier as I've aged.  So yeah, I wiped down EVERYTHING and vacuumed and mopped and organized.  I'm pretty sure most of the house hasn't been so clean since we moved in.  

Unfortunately we didn't get the carpet laid back down until Saturday.  Camden only stepped on the tack strips twice total.  Poor kid had to wear shoes all the time he wasn't sleeping.

Yesterday the plumber came to re-check our water lines to be sure they were not affected by having the house settle onto them or by drilling during the piering.  Unfortunately, it appears our drain pipes were affected.  Sigh.  So we have a more significant leak.  Now the plumber has to come back to find it and then come again to fix it.  Sigh!  I guess I am going to have to cut ice cream from our budget.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Wow! It sounds like so much fun. Ug. How amazing you are for having such a good attitude!

Anonymous said...

Cutting ice cream from the budget is not acceptable. Ice cream is non-negotiable. We shall have a fundraiser. Yes, that's it. The House-raiser-Fund-raiser. It will be a fund-raiser of the ice cream sort. Oh, yes, a fun-raiser!