Thursday, November 11, 2010

I wouldn't have thought that was a blessing

So yesterday - after a miserable, shivery, horridly uncomfortable night - I succumbed and went to the doctor.  I really felt too awful to enjoy what turned out to be an hour+ wait (it really felt like much longer, especially since I had to drag Camden with me to this cesspool of breeding germs and he refused to nap - arg).  Anyway, it turns out I have strep.  Nice to know I have a really good reason for feeling so lousy.

But the doctor emphasized that I need to be extra careful so Camden doesn't get it.  I'm not quite sure how to prevent Camden getting my germs.  I breastfeed him.  I spoon feed him.  I prepare his cereal and mash his veggies.  I snuggle him.  I change his diaper (which requires some playing to distract him).  I let him play in my lap and use me for a jungle-gym.  And I lug him around in my arms a good bit.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up breathing on him during some of these activities. 

And then I realized Camden is already on antibiotics, which hopefully will kill the step germies he catches.  I think maybe God allowed Camden to get a minor ear infection to help him avoid getting something much worse!  And I'm very grateful!

4 comments:

Wendi said...

Misery!! I'm so sorry to hear you're sick! Hopefully now with the antibiotics you'll be feeling better in a day or so. Being sick when you have to take care of a child is so miserable! Unfortunately it's not an option to take a sick day when you have a baby. Thank goodness for our husbands though who can pick up some of the slack.

Rebecca said...

I like your attitude! Kind of like the story Mom and Dad sent about the blessing of breaking a leg! I'm glad for you that its strep and not a broken leg though! Feel better soon!!

Deborah said...

Its always nice to notice the little blessings in your life. Even when they don't seem like it at first. I hope both of you feel better soon.

Catherine said...

Plus, in breastfeeding him, you are passing on the antibodies your immune system creates. Don't know how effective that is against strep...but my little guys never seemed to catch what I had Sorry you are feeling awful, and way to count your blessings!