Monday, August 23, 2010

I Have Learned

Okay, so I haven't been a mom all that long, but I have learned a couple of things.....

Man, it's a LOT of work!! 

There's no surer guarantee of imminent (and copious) spit-up being ejected onto you than being all dressed up for church, or wearing your favorite clothes.

After settling your baby in the crib back to sleep in the middle of the night, you can pause by the door and listen for him and he won't cry, but as soon as you are snuggled into that perfectly comfortable position in bed, he will begin fussing immediately.

Babies actually DO like to be spoken to in a nauseating high-pitched voice.  It is now normal life to stroll around the grocery store and everywhere else, speaking in a silly girly voice, explaining to Camden exactly what we are doing and why and what we will do next.  I suspect is it probably as obnoxious as encountering individuals loudly speaking and apparently conversing with the air, but really they have tiny little blue-tooth things obscured by their hair.

There aren't any strangers anymore - people everywhere come up and start talking to me about about my adorable little boy.  I'm sure as time goes by this will transition from these indulgent remarks about how bright-eyed and cute my baby is to less enjoyable, unsolicited parenting advice.  But it's currently quite enjoyable - I never get tired of the conversations that revolve around how great my baby is.

Having a baby really does suck out your personality.  And your brain.  And your decision-making skills (if you ever had any!).

There is no more beautiful and satisfying sight than this:

(especially if this vision was preceded by a half-an-hour of wailing and writhing and piercing screams)

Unless it's maybe this:
 Camden thinks it is sooo fun when we hold him and play with him.  And he's ridiculously easy to entertain!  Everything else is really worth it,          just for this.

4 comments:

Deborah said...

And it doesn't matter how long you stand outside the door waiting to see if the baby is asleep. You could stand there for 30 seconds or 30 minutes, but as soon as you get comfortable in bed you will here the baby cry.

But the smiles and laughter do make it all worthwhile.

Lindsay said...

Man is he cute! Sounds like you are a pro!! We are missing you guys and hoping all is well! Especially now that BYU football season is approaching. Stay in touch!

Rebecca said...

He sure is adorable! And everything you said is so true, so true! I still can't figure out how they know that you are comfy in bed. It must be a 6th sense.

Tricia Bowen said...

I can't believe how big Camden is getting! Isn't fun to watch them grow and gain their own personality? Enjoy it! It goes way too fast!