I just want to say how much I love the Olympics!! I mean, I love the idea and the Games and the fact that so many nations can be represented in one place, illustrating what is best in all of us. Not just the best athletically, but that the Olympics represents our best ideals. I like that a lot. And I like that so many of the athletes, despite the incredible level of competition, they still demonstrate excellent sportmanship.
I don't like the media coverage though. Pretty much, I think you are idiotic if you can say "___ lost to ____, who won the gold medal." I can't possibly consider winning a silver medal to be Losing. Heck, I think being involved in the Olympics is a success. I dislike that the reporters almost make it seem like if you don't win gold, your efforts don't matter. Which is ridiculous. It's ironic, don't you think, that the skeptical and caustic media is responsible for broadcasting such an idealistic event. It's no wonder they miss the mark - they can't possibly understand very many of the values the Olympics represent.
But, I really do like watching the events!! They are all so amazing - their skill is so great they make their sport look easy. It's so remarkable to me to see the competetive drive these athletes have, how hard they are willing to work to achieve their goals. I wonder if I am so motivated to accomplish anything in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment