Sunday, February 21, 2010

Musings

I realized I haven't been sufficiently thankful lately. Possibly because it took a little while to become more or less accustomed to the fact that my thighs rub together when I walk now. And it sort of shocked me to realize that my belly rests on my legs when I sit. So I want to express some of the things that I like about being pregnant. And hope it doesn't jinx me!

I must admit I actually feel pretty good. Since my only real complaints are exhaustion and moodiness/irritability, I feel really blessed. I expected to have all sorts of miserable physical trials, or at least to puke everyday, but it's not so bad at all! I guess it's helped to hear about everyone else's pregnant maladies before we ever conceived.

I actually kind of like the belly. I know it's temporary - which makes me VERY glad! But I can see my tummy morph and warp as our kid squirms around in there. It's quite fascinating and makes a great distraction during work or church or boring conversations. And, surprisingly, not that many people touch my tummy - but maybe it's because they know the wench in me is awfully close to the surface.

I like feeling him squirm around. The other day it felt like he was just bouncing from one side to the other - very fast. I am beginning to worry a bit that he will be very hyper. Fortunately, it's hard for babies in their slug-like state to be too hyper. But as he grows up......

Being pregnant makes me LOVE food. In fact, I can spend my afternoon hours at work, doing my mindless work, happily daydreaming about food - different meals or dishes or desserts. Whatever. It's also incredibly enjoyable to consume food as well - especially if other people have made it. People seem to think I am inordinately excitable about food. It seems perfectly understandable to me - most things taste so yummy! We had absolutely delicious cookies after a work meeting last week and I was thrilled the rest of the day (maybe because of how many I had!).

I find most people are awfully nice to pregnant ladies (when they aren't saying stupid things, that is). I think half the ladies in the ward have volunteered to throw a baby shower for me. Everyone is so happy for us. Even people who don't know us well. Even the lady who thinks the earth can't sustain our population and that intelligent people shouldn't have children. (I'm guessing she just thinks we aren't intelligent, so we are excused.) It's also pleasant that my co-workers and bosses have all been supportive and kind about my choice to stay home and not come back to work.

There are more things, but I'm sure you have other things to do in your life besides hear about mine!

No comments: