Monday, August 20, 2012

Last week - the Fire Station

On Tuesday, we visited Fire Station #5, with several of our friends from church.  A total of four moms and ten kids, counting two babies.

Camden didn't enjoy it as much as I hoped.  He kept saying, "I want go some where else."  

It's true that our tour guide fireman was a little erudite for the young folks.  He explained lots of fascinating tidbits about fireman tools and strategies.  I spent a little time admiring his vocabulary.

Mostly the girls were more excited about dancing around and making music from jumping on the grating.  Camden, very naturally, pondered on the bizarre doings of his female counterparts.

We saw lots of fun things - the jaws of life, the inside of an ambulance, and all the things they stuff into the compartments of their ladder truck.  (I forgot I had my camera, so there is no documentation of most of the really exciting items, er, apparatuses).  

Especially for the kids, one fireman donned his full fire-fighting ensemble, including his mask and air tanks and turned it on.  They wanted the children to be able to see what a fire-fighter would look like and sound like, so they wouldn't be afraid if one came looking for them in a real emergency.  


A dream of mine was fulfilled today!   They drove their ladder truck out of the station, set out the out-rigger supports and raised the ladder.  You can operate the whole thing from below.  The nice fireman even swiveled the ladder 360 degrees.  It was pretty impressive.  And!  I  have wondered - if you rescue someone using the ladder, how do you get them down?  Especially if they are injured.  Well, apparently, the ladder can be lowered to within arm's reach of a man standing up.  


At the end of the tour, the gave these adorable junior fireman hats to all the kids.  Camden was delighted! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

VERY COOL!!! The last time our Cub Scouts visited the local fire station, an emergency call came in and the guys had to take off. Lewis was really worried about this happening before we ever got there. He plugged his ears, and I covered my hands over his ears, when the alarm went off, just to make sure he didn't totally freak out from that LOUD noise! Thankfully the firemen didn't turn on the truck siren until after they left the building and were out on the road, whew!! He LOVED everything about our tour and wants to go back again sometime. :)

Deborah said...

Sounds like you had a lot of fun at the fire station.

I love that first picture of Camden. He reminds me of you. :)