Yesterday, Dan participated in another obstacle run. It was supposed to be about four miles, but it turned out to be more of a 5K. He came in 59th out of over 600 men and ran it in 40 minutes and 39 seconds. I was impressed. It rained that morning, too, which just made it even cooler. Dan ran in the first heat at 8am, when the weather was almost chilly. It was beautifully drizzly.
Always comforting to have one of these around. Although its presence denotes a bit of danger that might not actually exist. Life on the edge. :)
Here he is, clambering over the first obstacle. He was one of the first in his heat to approach. Which was good since it bottle-necked there once the masses reach it.
It's hard to see because it was across the lake and far away. But this strange-looking obstacle was basically monkey bars. However, as it was wet, Dan said he didn't manage to hang on for more than a few rungs.
Apparently, one of the obstacles I couldn't see was a series of 5 8-foot walls in a row. With no hand holds, or supports of any kind. One simply had to lounge and jump and reach and pull. There was a very fast lady runner who got hung up at several of the walls. Dan and another guy would catch up to her and help her over.
This wall had 2x4 supports across the front that you could use to climb the front. But apparently they did not extend fully to the top. Dan stood on the highest one and had to jump and reach to grasp the top of the wall. Sounds a little uncomfortable to me.
Right after this wall, they had to trudge through chest-high water.
Camden and I tried to cheer loud enough that Dan could hear us, from across the lake, but I don't think we succeeded.
I missed Dan getting to this part. (Camden was distracted looking at the ambulance.) I guess this obstacle is more exciting to look at and just not that complicated to get through.
This was the very last obstacle.
Here is Dan, running to the finish line. The other guy saw the finish before Dan did and took off. (Sorry for the picture quality; I wasn't expected Dan to erupt from the bushes so soon.)
Dan's last gasp at the finish.
Celebrating with Camden!
This course had a lot of different climbing walls, some foliage to leap over, a barb-wire crawl, tires to step through, and much more. I think they omitted the customary fire obstacle due to the state-wide burn ban. :) Several runners said they liked the obstacles better than the Warrior Dash, plus this run had a lot fewer hills.
http://conquerthegauntlet.com Just in case you want to see more details.

3 comments:
Quite impressive and AWESOME!!! Way to go, Dan!!
Fun! But WAY more hardcore than me!
Go Dan!
Post a Comment