Thursday, June 10, 2010

Something Completely Different

I just wanted to share a little bit about the hightlights of having Kera and Andy and their childrens here. Sorry there aren't any pictures today!

My favorite child quote, provided by Aaron: "Only light can go the speed of light." This said with confidence and superiority to his younger brother. A pause, then, questioning me, "But if you throw a lightbulb, will it go the speed of light?"

My sanity-saving blessing: Camden went 6 hours between feeding at night just about every night we had family here. Not to say he went right back to sleep, but still, it was greatly appreciated!

My most revolting experience: Matthew pooped his pants (because he was having such a good time playing - I'm going to consider this a compliment to my hostess skills at providing adequate child entertainment), but he kindly wanted to clean it up himself. Unfortunately, the mass was quite sticky and refused to remove itself from his underwear, despite vigorous shaking. I know this, because poop chunks were dispersed in a remarkable fashion across the bathroom - in the tub, on the walls, behind the door, and smeared under the door. It was quite impressive. We all suggested to Matthew that next time, he should just ask his parents for help.

My biggest realization: Life with a baby means extra-curricular activities are very different than before. Staying at home with Camden isn't too difficult, but trying to go anywhere or do anything more than that requires a lot of work. One day, we planned to play softball - I fed Camden and then arrived to enjoy the last half an hour or so. We also took the kids to the splash park. Well, everyone else went, I fed Camden and then arrived just as everyone else was finishing. One day we took a trip to Woolaroc - everyone else had lunch and went to the petting zoo. I fed Camden. I did join everyone else in seeing the museum, but I didn't get the full benefit, as I spent most of the time trying to console my tired, fussy boy, and hoping his frequent tornado siren screaming didn't get us kicked out or so alienate my family that they left us there. So I have to wonder if there is any point to getting out. I'm mostly still too tired to feel the lack of social interaction or mental stimulation.

I did really enjoy having family here though! So nice to see my cute nieces and nephews, and chat with Andy and Kera and Dad. We likes them!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Hee hee hee! I totally sympathize with you. My favorite kid quote this week was from Callie, "My favorite part of the movie (Alvin and the Chipmunks) is when they say "Wedgie Time" and then they give him a wedgie. Its so funny, I gave myself a wedgie! It didn't hurt!"

The Halls said...

So good to read up on your life. My favorite quote this week from Silas. He and Winfield were walking around the house half bent over holding clear plastic spoons up to one of their eyes. When I asked Silas what he was looking for (mind you he is hard to understand) he said, "A wu." (A clue.)